Thursday, July 21, 2011

Missing the stars, loving the future.

NASA... Oh NASA. Why did we let it go this far?

A lot of people are saying that it's the end of an era, and I can't help but agree. Incidentally the end of an era just means the beginning of a new era. And although we might not be space fairing for a while. We will end up back up there at some point.

I say this because I have a feeling that no matter how long we are grounded, we can't help but try to reach out to the stars. The chances of finding life are slim, but we know that the chance that it's out there is really high. And in our never ending quest to expand and learn we will end up making space a common frontier. I think commercially space travel has a lot of appeal, I can see a lot of travel to Mars for raw resource, perhaps even the moons of Jupiter or Saturn.

Avatar is one of my favorite movies because Humanity will more then likely be like that at some point. We will have moved on to a new frontier. I can tell you a lot of the technology in that movie was entirely feasible today. And it was all portrayed in a very humanistic manner. Don't get me wrong, I love the Star Trek world, but I doubt we will make ships that look like that when the functioning design of the ships in that show were all incredibly inconvenient Star Wars was spot on with a lot of its personal star craft design. That is what Avatar brought to the table. Believable human technology that could emerge in the next fifty to one hundred years. And in all honesty, the progression from being an entirely land based life form to flying after hundreds of years of progression was one thing, but once the 1950s hit we blew up in our development. You don't see many huge discoveries nowadays, but I assure you they are there.

One thing I feel is that America will be proven wrong in a few years. We are the original space walkers, but we weren't the first in space, and we certainly wont be the last. I have faith that as more countries push into space we will feel more united in our cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment